Indian students in US up 19% from last year, bag more visas than Chinese during June-Aug 2022

NEW DELHI: The number of Indian students pursuing higher education in the United States has risen 19 per cent in 2021-22 compared to the previous year, indicative of a clear reversal from the Covid-induced slump. Indians now account for 21% of nearly a million foreign students in the US.
The figures are a part of the Open Doors Report 2022 released on Monday. The annual survey is a comprehensive information resource on international students studying or teaching at higher education institutions in the US, and US students studying abroad for academic credit at their home colleges or universities.
The figures for India are significant when compared to China, another major origin for international students in US. The number of Chinese students in US varsities saw a decline of nearly 9% during the same period.
However China still accounts for the largest bulk of foreign students in the US, at nearly 3 lakh. Indians by comparison are at just under 2 lakh.
Discussing the details of the Open Doors report, Don Heflin, minister counselor for consular affairs at the US embassy in New Delhi said 82,000 Indian students were issued visas during the period June-August 2022- up from about 62,000 a year back. Chinese students bagged about 50,000.
Indian students enrolling for post graduate courses comprise 75 per cent of the total number, while undergrads account for the remaining 25 per cent, another official said. Computer Sciences, engineering courses and business management continue to be the most popular dicsiplines for Indian students, Heflin said.
The current visa processing period of about 43 days is likely to come down soon, he said. When pointed out that the waiting period in some neighbouring countries is significantly lower, he said it is likely due to the the huge scale of student traffic from India. Heflin also said that students once refused visa can expect to get a second chance by end-December or early January.
Gloria Berbena, minister counselor for public diplomacy said “It’s clear Indian students and their parents recognize the value of a US education, one that prepares to leverage their newly gained knowhow to tackle the world’s challenges and readies them for future opportunities.”
The Open Doors survey is sponsored by the US Department of State.
The deapartment offers free advising services to prospective students, both virtually and in-person, at eight centres across India- at New Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Chennai, Bengaluru, Ahmedabad and two centres in Hyderabad. Relevant information is also available via the Education USA India app.